This episode of the pArentZ pod, the Arizona infant and toddler podcast from First Things First, is about the most important and useful things for parents – especially new parents – to know about child development. Our guest is DeAnn Davies, the director for Early Childhood and Pediatric Psychology at Summit Healthcare in Show Low. DeAnn has worked in Arizona’s early childhood system since 1995. She knows babies and toddlers, and she also knows that there’s no such thing as a perfect parent.
“If you get it right 40 percent of the time, you’re doing a great job.”
In this episode:
- Tips on understanding your babies cues and behaviors
- Developmental domains: social and emotional, language and communication, physical, etc.
- How to make tummy time work for your baby
- What your baby needs most
- How to survive a trip to the store with your toddler
- Where to find more information and support in your Arizona community
AZ resources on child development:
- Birth to Five Helpline
- FTF Family Resource Network
- Ages & Stages
- To find free family support programs near you – such as parenting education workshops and classes, home visiting programs and more – find your local First Things First region and look for the “Family Guide” in the Publications and Resource section. (See example below.)
View the transcript