Follow along on First Things First’s social media throughout November as FTF celebrates Native American Heritage Month by sharing Native American family stories, as well as stories on how FTF partners with tribes throughout Arizona. Find us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
FTF acknowledges the rich cultural diversity of Arizona’s 22 federally recognized tribes and recognizes that Indian tribes must have a strong voice in shaping the policies and programming that affect their communities.
Ensuring that our youngest kids arrive at kindergarten prepared to succeed requires all parts of the early childhood system to work together, such as:
- Family support, including home visitation programs for parents with newborns.
- Early language and literacy development, including native languages.
- Nutrition assistance and obesity prevention.
- Health screenings and outreach about health insurance.
- Several programs aimed at improving the quality of early education environments, including scholarships to enhance the professional skills of teachers working with the youngest tribal children.